Sunday, April 4, 2010

Silver Streak

Using a silver spoon isn’t just a sign of privilege. In the days before plastic, then bpa-free plastic, utensils for baby to eat with, the use of silver was and continues to be anti-bacterial, particularly in the era before fridges, antibiotics and unpronounceable preservatives were added to foods to make them last an eternity.

"Settlers in the American West used silver dollars in jugs of milk to keep the milk from spoiling. Silver nitrate drops have been used in newborn babies' eyes to prevent infection after birth. With the growth in popularity of antibiotics, silver has seemed to be less necessary for health. Pacifiers have replaced silver teething rings and plastic toys are used instead of silver rattles." [Source]

Though we have more alternatives now, I’m not sure I always trust them. We splurged and bought our son a silver spoon when he was born. Though not quite born with a silver spoon in his mouth, six months later it was the first spoon he used. And, after dozens of alarming news articles about recalled plastic cutlery, various sippy cups, and plate sets for children that purported to be safe, I’ve always been happy that we made the investment. Who knows…maybe our son’s first child will use that silver spoon one day.

Non-toxic Method for Cleaning Silver

1. use a mug or glass that can handle hot water, and the right fit for the object you wish to clean

2. line the bottom with aluminum foil

3. place one or two tablespoons of baking soda on the tin foil

4. pour boiling water, and as the baking soda is bubbling (almost instantly) drop the object in

5. Rinse and dry the object. Presto! Perfectly cleaned silver w/o scrubbing or using toxic cleaners

1 comment:

  1. I just had a boo on your blog, as I am sending the link to my mum for her to read... in hopes that she will really read it specifically info about what to feed babies... first foods etc. I really want to have her on board with me about holding off on the typical stereotype of grandparents feeding their grandchildren all kinds of sweets.

    So, I was pleasantly surprised to see you latest article on the benefits of sliver utensils. I had just mentioned the antibacterial properties to my mum the other day... thinking that I'd get a 'oh yeah, I remember when...' reponse... but she responded by saying that she didn't know that, so it will be nice for her to see your article to back me up further.

    Happy Spring!
    Janina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails