Friday, August 13, 2010

Ginger Beer...the results are in!

The ginger beer (aka ale) I brewed recently from a 'ginger bug' (see our recent Ferment Fervour post) was ready for testing the other day so I reached up to the top of my fridge, where I store my ferments, and opened one of the bottles with a bit of angst; I always get the last minute jitters thinking that perhaps something went wrong or didn't seal it right. It's just like gardening when you put in the seed and check back weekly to see if anything is sprouting yet. Each time I look I ask myself: Will it sprout? Did I give it enough water? Were the seeds viable? And when it does sprout—it's like no other feeling of total contentment and pride.

So, back to the ginger beer. It let out a tiny little 'pfst' and I wondered if it was going to be ok. But as soon as I went to pour it it got even fizzier. I was gitty with delight! I called my husband to come and test it and both he and little Oskar were up for their 'quality control' duties. They both drank it back and finished with smiles. "Best one yet" and "Mmmm, momma! Geen-ger Beer". It was a hit. I really liked this one, we made it stronger (we made it with the full "6 inches of ginger root" at the end and used the zest of the lemon as well as the juice and therefore it was more flavourful and full-bodied than the last one. It had that wonderful gentle warming at the back of your throat feeling that only ginger can provide; accompanied by a gentle fizz which flirts with its earthy body, a hint of lemon and just enough sweetness.

It's amazing the pride you get from 'raising your own ferments' just as when you sprout your seeds, and raise a child.
If you don't have the means for a garden, create one in your kitchen by way of fermented food projects. You can always go outside to enjoy them once they are finished and relish in the harvest whilst getting your vitamin D from the sun. Be sure to mindfully enjoy the many benefits of your ginger beer. It has plenty of beneficial bacteria, lively enzymes, the many powerful healing components of ginger and the additional alkalinity and freshness of lemon. This is a healthy and alkaline drink, unlike commercial soft-drinks.

Note: Start saving old wine bottles and, even better, clip-top beer bottles (Like Grolsch brand). They're great for home ferments.

PS: I just picked several pounds of gorgeous yellow-orange plums today...perhaps a Plum T'ej is in my future. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails