Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pear Rhubarb Chutney

Today was canning day. I have not done a lot of canning and certainly not without guidance so I invited a couple of girlfriends over to, if nothing else, provide some emotional support.

The whole experience did not start out on such a good note. I went to my pantry to find that my perfect pears that looked just fine 2 days prior were covered in brown! More than half of them were rotten! I couldn't believe my eyes. Pears do not store well unless in ideal conditions (cool, dry and dark). Apples are much more forgiving, at least for longer.
Anyways, after tossing half of my pears in to the yard for the deer (lucky buggers) I brought them to the kitchen for my sisterly support. We quickly chopped up what was salvageable and much to my delight (and relief) there was still plenty to make into a double chutney recipe. Yay!

My mom told me that this recipe was a secret but since I altered it, as always, I am going to share it. Don't tell.

This is a great recipe for a healthy and flavourful: sandwich condiment, a pairing for poultry and pork, good with cheese and crackers and, my personal favourite, on organic hamburgers. It's a great relish of sorts on sprouted grain buns. It is also a very local, seasonal recipe right now.
Most importantly, however, it is Oskar-approved (as long as I keep the spices on the down-low).
Pear Rhubarb Chutney
4 cups pears, cubed
3 cups raw apple cider vinegar
3 cups rhubarb
1 cup cranberries, whole
3 cups unrefined sugar (ie: Panela)
1 cup dark raisins
2 cups finely chopped onion
1/2 t salt
1 tbsp ginger, grated
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground or add a few sticks and strain later

in a cheesecloth or tea ball, 10 cloves

1.) Bring to a boil at medium heat.

2.) Simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes

3.) Discard spice in tea ball/cheesecloth

4.) Put into sterilized jars.

*For some practical pointers for canning, watch the following video. It helped me feel a little more confident in the essentials of canning. Note: when she says to screw the jars on "only fingertip tight" before boiling them, I'd say a wee bit tighter than that as long as you are not straining to tighten. And don't be discouraged if one of your jars 'pop's' after sealing - one of mine did. It's all part of the process - just stick it in the freezer instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails