Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A trip to Saltspring Island

Recently, Oskar and I went on a road trip with some colleagues from Inspire Health to Saltspring Island to visit a colleague on his family farm as well as some family of our own on their orchard/nut farm. It was a grand adventure for us both as Oskar had never been and I was overdue for my Saltspring 'fix'.This infamous Gulf Island, with a valley rumoured to have farmers with longevity like the folks of Okinawa, is rich in prime farmland with great heritage trees dripping with fruit, just begging to be plucked. My mouth watered at almost every turn and I daydreamed of the bounty I could return home with. (I switch into my 'kid in a candy shop' mentality when I see such abundance. Thankfully, I'm learning to temper it. Gradually.)

Our first destination was Grandview Farm (pictured above), the home of my wonderful colleague Ron Puhky and equally wonderful wife and son, Kim and Gabe. There was a picnic table waiting for us and we had a fabulous feast for lunch in the middle of the farm beside the grazing cows and right next to "Farmer Ron's" big tractor. Oskar promptly announced it was his and climbed onto it pretending to operate this huge piece of machinery. He was totally at home on this big beautiful property and I didn't have the same need to constantly keep an eye on him like almost everywhere else. He was in a safe place, with many to look out for him, yet in an open space with a world of wonder. This new place felt oddly like home.

After an afternoon of work on the farm (my job was to peel the outermost soiled layer of the bulbs of garlic harvest and make it 'market-ready', Oskar's was to master the Gabe's scooter) we had a grand feast consisting predominantly of farm fare and, after some wine and a few stories, slept cozily while it poured with rain (remember that super wet september?)

The next day it was off to The Fall Fair to meet with my cousin Jules and her little guy Liam. Oskar and Liam were in their glory climbing on all the tractors (both new and vintage) and eating fresh fruit smoothies and lamburgers. What a fair! It had everything from exotic breeds of chickens and combs of honeybees to live music and, of course, great local food. Those folks know how to throw a fair and the rest know how to get out and support it: it was packed.
It was such a gorgeous weekend. One all about great food and sharing and connecting; things I was definitely craving. One I will not forget soon, and one I hope to relive. The hospitality was superb. The harvest filled our bellies and nourished us to our core. This foodie left both impressed and deeply grateful.
I highly recommend a weekend trip to this great island sometime soon. I'm sure there are many a 'preserves' waiting for you, even though harvest time is officially over now. Those islander's know how to live!
Saltspring Island: Thank you. We'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. nice post! great blog! sounds like the trip was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails