Saturday, May 22, 2010

Clean Springtime Eating

My appetite changes with this light and airy springtime season. I crave less dense, starchy and protein-rich foods and want more light, easy-to-digest, clean foods. This is a very natural shift that often happens at this time of year. In the fall and winter seasons our bodies build and store nutrients. In the spring and summer seasons our bodies move their focus to the liver/gallbladder, cleansing and renewal.

Even though kids may not seem to follow to this pattern (for example, children often crave protein rich foods during growth spurts) as much as adults, their appetites do change with the seasons.

The other night I went with my instincts and made a simple lentil spring (no bake) casserole, which I hope you will enjoy too.

Lentil Spring Casserole

First I rinsed some red lentils and boiled them until soft. Then I added a touch of tumeric, unrefined salt and a dollop of homemade organic ghee or butter to taste.

Meanwhile I cut up some of my favourite spring veggies; asparagus, pea shoots and baby bok choy and sauteed them (actually I left the pea shoots raw).

Then I cut some medium firm tofu (Soyganic brand is best quality tofu/soy milk by the way!) and sauteed them for a few minutes until lightly browned. I then opened up a yummy jar of some apricot chutney and added it as the perfect 'marinade' for my tofu. I simply added it to the warm pan for a minute or so to warm up.

Next, I grabbed 3 plates put a warm layer of red lentils as a base, then a bed of sauteed spring
greens + a sprinkling of raw pea shoots. Then I
topped it off with the glazed tofu.

Yum! It was a hit and we all felt really good after eating it too. A very clean-burning meal.

For those who do not like tofu (hint: I never used to until I learned to make yummy glazes for it) you can use tempeh or, for a soy-free option, use nuts/seeds instead (sprinkled on top) for added crunch and protein.

May you be well nourished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails