Monday, May 10, 2010

Indian Fast Food

My husband’s family is Indian from Fiji. And, Tin Fish Tarcurry or Tarkari, the Bengali term for curry, is an old family standby when a quick, healthy meal is desired in an instant.

I was recently cruising the aisles of a local market and discovered some fresh, organic turmeric, which looks identical to ginger except for the lovely orange yellow colour on the inside. I decided to learn how to make my husband’s family recipe, and to include my newfound fresh turmeric.

My son Ilan just gobbles this dish up and once it’s finished, he then tries to lick the bowl. I’m dead serious.


Tin Fish Tarkari Recipe

Ingredients

A tin of wild unsalted salmon (empty the water and rinse)
Note: We’re not wild about tinned food at Weemunch…the lining, aluminum, high sodium and preservatives aren’t the best, but, once a week isn’t anything to worry about. You could also use fresh fish if it’s readily available, as it’s still quick and easy to cook.
An onion
Spices: Cumin, Turmeric, Unrefined Salt, Pepper, Chili Flakes, garlic
Organic, Spinach (optional)
Fresh Tomatoes (optional)
Butter and olive oil

1. On medium heat, in a large frying pan or saucepan, melt a pat of organic butter with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil
2. Then add your chopped onion and cover, letting it simmer until translucent and curled.
3. Then add some chopped garlic, a teaspoon of cumin, turmeric, and a dash of salt and pepper (to taste) and a small sprinkling of dried chili flakes. Stir and let simmer for a few moments to infuse the oils, onions and spices.
4. Then add your tinned salmon. Stir in and blend with the spices. Then add some spinach until wilted. Serve on its own or with brown rice, couscous, or roti. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delish! I have one lonely fillet of salmon in my freezer I've been wondering what to do with...can't wait to try this. Also, what a beautiful bowl you served it in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails